Are you the kind of person that is always saying “yes” when you don’t really want to?
Do you ever say “yes” with the intention of backing out later?
It may feel like it is easier to “be nice” and yes to a person’s face, but there is a danger in that!
In today’s episode, we dig into scripture to see what Jesus has to say about making promises we don’t intend on keeping.
You can find this podcast on any of these Podcast Apps. Don’t forget to subscribe and leave a review if you loved this episode!
“Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn.’ But I say to you, Do not take an oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. And do not take an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil.Matthew 5:33-37 English Standard Version
Big Picture Take Away
Your character should be of such integrity that others can just your plain words as the truth.
When you say “YES,” that means you are saying,
- “I will show up.”
- “I will work hard.”
- “I will be comitted.”
- “I can be counted on to use the talents and abilities God game to complete the task I agreed to.”
Is this true of you? If not, what do you need to change about the way you are living to live out Jesus’s command in Matthew 5:33-37?
Be the kind of mom whose kids know you mean what you say and you say what you mean.
- No more empty threats.
- No more bribes to solicit good behavior.
You will be amazed at how much less conflict you experience and how much more obedient your children become when they know the outcome of a situation – both the rewards and the consequences.
- Do not manipulate your husband by telling him what he wants to hear so that you can get what you want (that he doesn’t) later on.
- Stop being passive-agressive when you don’t get the outcome you wanted.
(Listen to Ep 7 – SUBMIT to my husband? Are you CRAZY? and Episode 7 BONUS – What does submission look like in REALITY? for more on this topic)
- Don’t tell you are not mad when you actually are! Be honest. I may not respond well at first, but he will evenutally come to appreciate this about you.
- Don’t agree to take on responiblites that you aren’t sure you can actually handle
- Stop saying yes to “be nice” knowing that you are going to cancel later
- It’s not that you will never say “yes” when you’d rather say no, but you will do it knowing that you are committed to doint what you said you will do!
Download these 15 cards and pray God’s Word directly back to Him.
Personalize each prayer card by adding your specific circumstances on the lines provided.
Plus a BONUS template that teaches you how to use the Lord’s Prayer for your personal prayers!
This 6 week Connect, Reflect & Pray journal was designed for the busy woman who wants to spend time with God but just needs a little help. Learn more about the Find Your Faith 30 Day Bible study here.
Need help connecting with God?
Sign up for this FREE email series!
Connect With Me
Want to hang out with me daily? Follow me on Instagram!
See what God is doing with my mess daily as I share the trials and triumphs of being a mom, wife, and friend who is learning to let go of control and trust God to lead me while getting some laughs along the way!